Ethereum’s countdown has just over a day to run before the set of upgrades planned with Constantinople will activate.
A countdown timer from Afri Schoedon, release manager for the Parity Ethereum client, states Constantinople is due to activate on Thursday at around 06:15 UTC:
However, this is currently later that other countdowns.
CoinGecko, is currently estimating 4:50 UTC on Thursday and Amber Data, which is similarly predicting 4:47 UTC. These times will become more accurate as we approach the time of the network upgrade.
The updates are non-contentious as all network participants have reportedly agreed to activate the upgrade so it won’t result in a hard fork. However some of the changes, such as the “thirdening” which will result in reduced mining rewards, are contentious within the community.
The five EIPs in the upgrade are:
- EIP 145 – more cost-effective and overall efficient approach to processing information (by adding bitwise shifting operators to the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM);
- EIP 1014: better approach to accommodating network scaling solutions such as off-chain transactions;
- EIP 1052 – an improvement on how contracts are processed;
- EIP1234 – 12-month delay of difficulty bomb; reduce mining rewards from 3 ETH to 2 ETH per block;
- EIP 1283 – a better way to mone